Over the
years, I have always thought about making “The ultimate mix tape”. Whenever I try and embark on a mission like
this, I realize that I have way too many favorite songs, and I honestly could
never pick just one favorite song. I
could choose one per genre, maybe, but even that is difficult. I also realize that most of my favorite songs
are from the same time period. I suppose
that come from being a product of the MTV generation. So I narrowed it down to
thirty songs. Here they are, in no
particular order.
1. Your Love - The Outfield
2. Stepping Out – Joe Jackson
3. Can You Forgive Her? – Pet Shop
Boys
4. Walking In My Shoes – Depeche Mode
5. Death Or Glory – The Clash
6. Locket Love – The Ramones
7. Fantastic Voyage – David Bowie
8. Brown Eyed Women – Grateful Dead
9. Abracadabra – Steve Miller Band
(One of the first tapes my dad gave me)
10. I’m Still Standing – Elton John (If
my life had a theme song…)
11. Sorry Again – Velocity Girl
12. Fall At Your Feet – Crowded House
13. Mother of Violence – Peter Gabriel
14. Pale Blue Eyes – The Velvet
Underground
15. The Seed – The Roots
16. Tumbling Dice – The Rolling Stones
17. The Gambler – Kenny Rogers (This
song reminds me of my dad)
18. ’39 – Queen
19. So Far Away – Carole King
20. The Luckiest – Ben Folds (This was
our wedding song)
21. Ol’ 55 – Tom Waits
22. Rosalita – Bruce Springsteen (I
saw Bruce once and he did not play this)
23. Needle In the Camel’s Eye – Brian
Eno
24. Your Favorite Thing – Sugar
25. Blue – The Jayhawks
26. I’ve Been Waiting – Matthew Sweet
27. The Becoming – Nine Inch Nails
(This is a painfully beautiful song)
28. It’s Only Life – The Shins
29. Savoy Truffle – The Beatles
30. Willing To Wait – Sebadoh
I
suppose if I absolutely had to pick one of these songs, it would probably have
to be “Stepping Out”. I have a memory of
being very young and going to Seaside Heights with my parents. All that I remember from this trip is that it
was a day trip and that I was very happy.
My dad drove a Cadillac back then, and I could lay straight across the
back seat. I remember on the drive home
from Seaside and hearing this song on the radio and drifting off to sleep on
the back seat. The carefree vibe of the
song is perfect for a day at the beach.
Thanks
to technology, I was able to compile these on YouTube. Here is the link, I hope it works. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment